Victor Mote wrote:

Vincent Hennebert wrote:

I'm considering to adapt Foray's font subsystem to Fop. I have already experimented a bit and the thing seems to be rather feasible. So far I have encountered two problems:

First, thanks for your interest, and welcome to FOP. Even though I am not an
active FOP developer anymore, I'm glad to see it making progress. And I
agree that integrating FOrayFont with FOP should be quite feasible.

Speaking for myself, I really don't want Victor's code in 1.0. I don't like his personality, and have not been a fan of his architectural ideas much either--especially his emphasis on placing the 0.20.5 layout code into 1.0 via "multiple layout strategies".

I would not relish a return to these past arguments--1.0 is clean and clear of the 0.20.5 layout sludge, nobody has to wade through that stuff to help out on 1.0, and I am quite happy with the progress being made on 1.0 because of it.

I will be very happy to assist you in any way possible, short of writing FOP
code.

Licensing is another headache, Victor would probably need to donate the code first to Apache before we could use it.

It seems, Vincent, that you have inadvertently chosen a very unfortunate way to re-introduce yourself to this project. (Not your fault--you didn't know.) However, if others on the project do not mind working with Victor, and if he donates the code to FOP, I guess I could refrain from futher comment on it. I will not touch the code personally, however, lest I have to interact with its author.

Glen