On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:05 pm, Finn Bock wrote:
> [Manuel]
>
> >>Agree, and I have a solution for that ready to go.
> >
> > I think this deserves some further comment / discussion. One, IMO
> > important, reason I want to do the evaluation during the FO parsing
> > stage is that once we are in the LMs we lost the property
> > inheritance information. That is something like:
> >    <fo:block font-size="120%">
> >       <fo:block>Text</fo:block>
> >    </fo:block>
> >
> > looks to the LM like:
> >    <fo:block font-size="120%">
> >       <fo:block font-size="120%">Text</fo:block>
> >    </fo:block>
>
> True, but the percentbase of the second 120% should be the same as
> the base of the first.
Yes, but this is exactly the problem. The "real" percentbase, that is
the actual value to use, is determined in the general case during
layout. So the LM just sees 'font-size="120%"' and now has to figure
out the base to use. But it doesn't know that the 120% was actually
inherited in the 2nd case and that it would need to backtrack to the
parent to determine the base from there.

> They are both 120% of a value on <fo:flow>. So
> when evaluated, the result values will be the same. All inheritance
> must be resolve by the property system.
>
> Otherwise it is a bug.
>
> The reason for keeping the values as percentage is to support
> font-size="120% + 1pt" and to *really* open the discussion it should
> be noted that the spec does *not* require additive operation on
> relative lengths. Only multiplications are required.

I wouldn't worry about that. The current system handles it fine.

> Once the expression engine in fop tried to use that by calculating a
> factor to be applied to relative lengths.
>
> Does svn view have an attic?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/
>apache/fop/fo/
>

> If it does I could propably find the code, it wasn't pretty.
>
> regards,
> finn

Manuel