I have a follow-up question on this. If we have something as simple(?)
as this:

<fo:block background-color="orange">
   <fo:external-graphic
        src="../../resources/images/bgimg300dpi.jpg"
        border="solid 5pt"
        padding="5pt"
        background-color="white"/>
</fo:block>

would you expect the whole image including padding and borders to be
within the bounds of the enclosing block or only the actual image to be
in the block and the padding and borders to "stick out" at the top and
bottom. It seems xep takes the latter approach and I am very uncertain
in this area. Or to put it differently is the BPD of the enclosing
block
   bpd = image height + line-spacing
or
   bpd = image-height + top_and_bottom_borders + top_and_bottom_padding
+ line-spacing
?

Manuel
<snip/>