Take the following fo snippet:

<fo:block font-size="24pt">
  BIG
  <fo:inline font-size="12pt" vertical-align="top">
    small top
    <fo:inline font-size="18pt" vertical-align="bottom">
      medium bottom
    </fo:inline>
  </fo:inline>
</fo:block>

Would one expect the text "medium bottom" to be aligned
a) with the bottom of the text "small top"
or
b) with the bottom of the text "BIG"?

I am asking this because my initial reaction was a), then my
interpretation of the spec says the answer is b), and then testing it
against RenderX gave a). Why b) - because according to section 7.13
(and this is well into the section) 'just changing the "font-size"
property does not change the baseline-table in effect in the inner
inline formatting object'. This means all 3 sections of text are
aligned according to the baselines established by the fo:block.

What do others think a) or b)?

Manuel