On Sep 24, 2005, at 16:46, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel,

Take the following fo snippet:

<fo:block font-size="24pt">
  BIG
  <fo:inline font-size="12pt" vertical-align="top">
    small top
    <fo:inline font-size="18pt" vertical-align="bottom">
      medium bottom
    </fo:inline>
  </fo:inline>
</fo:block>

Would one expect the text "medium bottom" to be aligned
a) with the bottom of the text "small top"
or
b) with the bottom of the text "BIG"?
<snip />

I'm not an expert here, but maybe it may make things a bit clearer if you expand the vertical-align shorthand into:

top:
alignment-baseline="before-edge"
alignment-adjust="auto"
baseline-shift="baseline"
dominant-baseline="auto"

bottom:
alignment-baseline="after-edge"
alignment-adjust="auto"
baseline-shift="baseline"
dominant-baseline="auto"

It seems then that the vertical-align on the innermost inline actually refers to the after-edge, which IIC would be relative to the after-edge of its parent (and not that of the block ancestor).

So I'd agree with your hunch and RenderX here...

HTH!

Cheers,