On Sep 24, 2005, at 17:22, Manuel Mall wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:04 pm, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
It seems then that the vertical-align on the innermost inline
actually refers to the after-edge, which IIC would be relative to the
after-edge of its parent (and not that of the block ancestor).

So I'd agree with your hunch and RenderX here...

Andreas, thanks for the quick response. And yes I agree with your
expansion. And yes this means "aligned with the 'after-edge' baseline
of the parent area". But what is the 'after-edge' baseline of the
parent area? (Note it doesn't say "aligned with the 'after-edge' of the
parent" is says "aligned with the 'after-edge' baseline of the parent")

Yeah, sorry, I was being too fast here and forgot a few important terms.

Anyway, the full description would be:
The alignment-baseline on the first inline is aligned with the before-edge baseline of the outer block. Now, IIC, this has an impact on its own after-edge baseline, which is then in its turn the basis for the alignment-baseline of the innermost inline (?)

That was actually more the point I wanted to make.

Cheers,