Hi Jeremias, Vincent,

Jeremias Maerki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/24/2005 03:27:28 PM:

> > I would need some help to understand how transcoders and
> > text handling within svg should work.
> >
> > o first, when I try to convert some svg that contains text
> >    into pdf with Batik (1.6), text is always rendered as
> >    strokes, even if it would be possible to render it with
> >    pdf text primitives.

    This was broken in the Batik 1.6 release.  I am about to
incorporate the pdf-transcoder.jar from the 0.9alpha1 FOP
release into the Batik SVN repository.

> > o the strokeSVGText option seems to have disappeared in Fop
> >    Trunk.
>
> At one point we thought this option would not be necessary. However, I
> think that we need to reintroduce it to provide a fallback
> if the special text handling does not produce satisfactory results. The
> idea behind the various TextElementBridges is that they determine
> themselves when they can paint text as text and when they have to resort
> to painting text as shapes. Thomas, what do you think about this topic?

   Well I think that currently the text bridges do a pretty good job
determining if they are capable of drawing text as PDF text and drop
back to curves when needed.  I would much rather work on catching cases
where this doesn't work properly than adding another option. Do you
know of cases right now where this doesn't work?

> > o only the PDFTranscoder is distributed with Batik. Is
> >    the PSTranscoder broken? Should I adapt it to FOrayFont?
>
> It's not broken but has less features and I guess the demand hasn't been
> that high for pure SVG to EPS conversion. You should treat the
> EPSTranscoder and the PSTranscoder the same way as the PDFTranscoder.
> The PSTranscoder has less value than the EPSTranscoders. It was
> originally intended for use with SVG Print but I never got around to
> having a closer look at it. If anyone wanted PSTranscoder gone, I
> wouldn't be upset.

   As far as I know no one has ever asked for EPS output from Batik.