Sorry for the delay. Too much going on right now.

On 19.07.2006 01:37:57 Patrick Paul wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand things correctly, the element list
> construction needs to be seperated from the line breaking algorithm ONLY
> when using it for auto table layout ?

I'd state it differently: Element list contruction needs to be separated
from the line breaking algorithm in order so the auto table layout can
access the element lists before the line breaking can occur. ATM, yes,
it's only used for auto table layout.

> I am asking this because the
> LineLayoutManager is not used exclusively by the TableLayoutManager, right ?

Yes.

> If this is correct, how do you recommend I do this split ? Should I
> create a new "LineLayoutManager" ? Or should I actually change the
> LineLayoutManger and reflect the change anywhere it is necessary in the
> code ?

No, don't create a new LineLayoutManager. The existing one needs to be
adjusted. getNextKnuthElements() in the context of the LineLayoutManager
means returning a block-level element list which cannot be provided at
the point where you need the inline-level element lists. So you may need
to come up with a mechanism that you can call on the block-level LMs
inside the table-cell so they descend down to the LineLayoutManagers and
issue the construction of the inline element lists. Ideally, the
LineLayoutManagers won't have to recreate the element lists when the
real getNextKnuthElements() call happens but they will automatically
create those element lists when they are not available, yet (i.e. in
cases outside a table).

HTH

BTW, Patrick, when I checked the ICLA status of you and Vincent I saw
that you still don't have an ICLA on file with the ASF. Please sign and send
(i.e. fax) one to the ASF secretary:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Thanks.