Here are my notes on AutoTableLayout I collected last year in case you
haven't seen them, yet. One of the more important parts will be to split
up the element list construction and the line breaking in
LineLayoutManager, because you can't do the line breaking as long as you
don't know the available IPD.

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AutoTableLayout

HTH