Thank you Jeremias, I have already read your notes and I intend to split the element list construction and the line breaking right after I've implemented a working basic auto-table layout. This will allow me to have a better understanding of how things work before tackling a more delicate task.

Thanks for the help,

Patrick

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Here are my notes on AutoTableLayout I collected last year in case you
haven't seen them, yet. One of the more important parts will be to split
up the element list construction and the line breaking in
LineLayoutManager, because you can't do the line breaking as long as you
don't know the available IPD.

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AutoTableLayout

HTH