We could just identify the schema in the DOCTYPE (or DTD if we decide
to go that route--a schema is much more powerful, but isn't it more
overhead?). Then, we could alter the location at will. Instead of
embedding the file in FOP, it could be located either locally
(relative to FOP or the XML files), or it could be located on a remote
server.

As for validating, when someone creates a plug-in (or updates FOP to
handle some new, configurable feature), one portion of the PATCH would
update the fop-config.xsd file.

On a related point, does it make sense that all configuration be
handled in one place (e.g., fonts too)?

Clay

--
Regards,