I finished(?) working on the somewhat modified items (1), (2) and (4) of
Jerememias' list.

I plan to clean up to code a bit and then try to submit a patch (there
should be a first time for everything I guess :))

Here is an overview of what has been done - probably belongs in the patch as
well, but if someone, despite the length of this post, decides to go through
it anyway, an upfront red flag can be waved if needed, keeping me from going
through the patch process.....

>From the users point of view.

The rgb-icc function is accepted as input for color properties of fo
elements and the generated PDF will include and refer to those color
profiles. Other renderers will use profile based converted sRGB values. The
ICC profiles are loaded using the src attribute from the color-profile
element. The uri resolution relies on how the Java VM resolves color
profiles.

A cmyk function accepting 4 arguments (values ranging from 0%-100% or
0.0-1.0) is also available. The PDF renderer will generate DeviceCMYK colors
based on the provided values, the other renderers will use a "standard"
cmyk-rgb conversion and generated rgb colors.

Implementation wise the following changes were done

org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyParser

1/
FunctionTable has two new functions, cmyk and rgb-icc linked to two new
classes CMYKcolorFunction and ICCcolorFunction

2/
parsePrimaryExpr recognizes functions that return a negative number from the
nbArgs as variable argument functions. Those are parsed with a new method,
parseVarArgs

org.apache.fop.fo.expr.CMYKColorFunction

New function class for the cmyk function

org.apache.fop.fo.expr.ICCColorFunction

New function class for the rgb-icc function. It is a somewhat peculiar
function class for two reasons.

First, it returns an negative number for nbArgs (flagging a variable number
of arguments function).

Second its eval method returns a string that contains a fop-rgb-icc function
call. The arguments for this new function are the same as the one of rgb-icc
with the exception of the fifth, which is an extra argument that contains
the src attribute for the color profile (from
/root/declarations/color-profile/@src)

An alternative suggested by Jeremias was to introduce a color context
tracking the mapping between ICC profile name and src. Certainly a more
elegant approach but it would require more classes to be touched something I
was reluctant to do (this being my first attempt to a fop contribution)

org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.Declarations

Added a new method
        public ColorProfile getColorProfile(String cpName)

org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.ColorProfile

Added a new method
        public String getSrc()

org.apache.fop.util.ColorUtil

1/
Added a static member referring to a/the Log object

2/
Added a static (synchronized) Map, colorSpaceMap, mapping color profile
src's to ICC_ColorSpace instances.

3/
parseColorString

Now also recognizes fop-rgb-icc and cmyk functions invoking parseAsFopRgbIcc
or parseAsCMYK.

4/
Removed cloning of the Color object before returning from parseColorString
(has a TODO in the current code)

5/
Added
        private static Color parseAsFopRgbIcc(String value)
                throws PropertyException

If the color profile src (5th argument) is not available in the
colorSpaceMap cache, an attempt is made to create an ICC_Profile and
associated ICC_ColorSpace based on the src.  If successful, the ColorSpace
is added to the cache, if not the fallback rgb values are used to create an
rgb based color. If an ICC_ColorSpace is available an RgbIccColor (new
class) object is created.

6/
Added
        private static Color parseAsCMYK(String value)
          throws PropertyException

Parses cmyk arguments and creates a Color from a CMYKColorSpace color space.

7/
colorTOsRGBString

Changed to recognize and handle cmyk and rgb-icc colors. Perhaps the name of
the function should be changed?

org.apache.fop.util.CMYKColorSpace

Implemented
        public float[] toRGB(float[] colorvalue)

org.apache.fop.util.RgbIccColor

New Color class keeping track of the rgb-icc arguments and color profile src
information.

org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFColor

1/

Added a private RgbIccColor member. This is probably the least elegant
change in this patch.

There is something I do not understand with the way PDFColorSpace,
PDFDeviceColorSpace and PDFPathPaint are used. PDFPathPaint has a
PDFDeviceColorSpace member while for me and at least at first sight it would
make more sense to use a PDFColorSpace member in stead. Changing that would
however result in quite a few changes lots of which would occur in code I
have no clue when it would be called.

The alternative approach I took is to add an RgbIccColor member which is
only filled in when the PDFColor is created from an RgbIccColor source in
PDFColor(java.awt.Color col).

Eventually, perhaps when svg rgb-icc and cmyk support is added, this will
have to be dealt with.

Bottom line is I would prefer to see these first set of changes rolled in
before starting to add changes to code not well understood.

2/
        public PDFColor(java.awt.Color col)

Recognize Color instances based on CMYK or RgbIccColor and store relevant
information

3/
        public String getColorSpaceOut(boolean fillNotStroke)

Recognize RgbIccColor based PDFColor instances and act accordingly

org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer

        protected void setColor(Color col, boolean fill, StringBuffer pdf)

When color is an RgbIccColor instance the ICC profile is added to the pdf
when needed.

Peter