Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
BTW: I took a very quick look, and does anyone know if there is a good reason why Hyphenation.word is a String?

The hyphenator  interface goes through several wrapping layers,
probably due to the usual "take working code and wrap it to fit
the caller" method.
This which always seemed to be overly complicated for me. I tried
to come up with a comprehensive API for hyphenation (which would
also be applicable to spelling and other similar tasks). Unfortunately,
there doesn't seem to be any usable standard, all APIs I've seen
are very specific or simply horrible. Any simplification is certainly
welcome.

J.Pietschmann