On Jan 15, 2007, at 22:20, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

<snip />

Not really sure what would be most efficient:
- a void method appending to a parameter StringBuffer
- a method returning a copy of the char[] from index to index...

Seen that every String ultimately has a backing char[](*) anyway, I'd say that we can safely return the copy, and remove the overhead of

StringBuffer.append(new String(char[])).toString().toCharArray()

Looked a bit deeper, and there is apparently a good reason to use a StringBuffer: the char[] from one FOText might need to be appended to that of a previous one (see TextLM.findHyphenationPoints()).

I guess it would be a bad idea to replace this with arrays, since they're not so straightforward to concatenate (requires copying into a new array).

Too bad we're still targeting 1.3, else we might consider switching to a java.nio.CharBuffer...

Cheers,