Thanks everyone for your feedbacks. Let me summarize the thread:

- since within the development team itself there are already several
  people who’d rather keep 1.4 compatibility, making a poll among users
  just now is probably not necessary. The poll is likely to be made at
  the end of October, that is at the same time End of Life is reached
  for Java 1.4. For now we decide to keep (binary) 1.4 compatibility.
- in the mean time, we try to plug Retroweaver/Retrotranslator/both in
  the build system, and see how this is going. If it works well, then we
  start to progressively introduce generics in the code, sticking to the
  1.4 Standard Library (and, more generally, not using any 1.5 feature
  that would be too difficult to translate back to 1.4).

There’s a point that I’d like to further discuss: why wouldn’t we
implement Retroweaver/Retrotranslator in the Trunk? If we go the
cautious route, that is if we run the test suite on a 1.4 jvm after each
introduction of a 1.5 feature and before committing the change, I don’t
see what’s the problem. Doing it in a branch more or less boils down to
not doing it at all IMO... Or this would be a very short-lived branch
(no more than a few weeks), just the time to test
Retroweaver/translator.

Thanks,
Vincent