It would indeed have been better to first have a discussion and then
make the change. @asf.todo is specific enough that we could have
changed it at any time. That said, Glenn's change was also made
without a discussion. My javadoc does not complain about the @todo
tag, and I had not understood that this was a motivation.

The javadoc documentation (of my sun-java6-jdk) is not clear about
this topic, and uses @todo liberally in its section about the -tag
option. Its most informative paragraph is this:

"Avoiding Conflicts - If you want to slice out your own namespace, you
can use a dot-separated naming convention similar to that used for
packages: com.mycompany.todo. Sun will continue to create standard
tags whose names do not contain dots. Any tag you create will override
the behavior of a tag by the same name defined by Sun. In other words,
if you create a tag or taglet @todo, it will always have the same
behavior you define, even if Sun later creates a standard tag of the
same name."

which does not even go so far as to discourage the @todo tag. It is
also not clear how a todo tag would be a specific asf tag, different
from the todo tag of any other organization. Everybody uses todo and
means the same with it.

Using the widely recognized TODO keyword circumvents the tag question
altogether, but is outdated since the advent of tags.

Let us discuss this and not waste effort on undoing each other's
expression of their point of view. Let us also not forget that working
in a team requires compromises; the code will never match your own
conventions and preferences as precisely as code in your very own
project. This is more so in an open project with a long history and a
large set of authors.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping