On 28/10/2010 07:44, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Hi Jeremias,

sorry for the late reply:
We've written down some thoughts about the topic some time ago:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/WhitespaceManagement
But there were no further actions on this.
I just wanted to clarify: copyfitting is different from whitespace management. The difference is that copyfitting is about making adjustments to font sizes and other attributes to make an object of unknown size fit into pre-defined space. The size of the object is not known until runtime but the space we allocate for the object is known at design time.

Whitespace management is where we have space of unknown size, e.g. remaining space on a page, and we have several alternative objects. The object chosen to be placed into the space of unknown size, depends on which objects fits the space best at layout stage.

I hope I have explained the difference clearly.

Thanks,

Chris