I take this discussion to express my worries that FOP needs to create
its own support for fonts, among which Open Type Fonts. FOP's core
task is the layout and printing of FO files. If FOP could rely on good
font libraries, that would make our code base so much smaller and our
development tasks so much easier.

If I am not mistaken, Firefox does a fairly good job at representing
Indic scripts. Do they use a generally available library?

Are there no such libraries? Or do I see the issue wrong?

Regards, Simon