Hi Simon,

The FOP font library doesn't actually render or paint any fonts, it
does 1 of 2 things. Either it a) creates a subset of the font, and
streams the subset (as a byte stream) to the PDF/PS document or b) it
streams the whole font to the document (I think this is what is done
for AFP, I don't think FOP supports subset embedding in AFP). This
means the reader of the document has to read the font we embed and
then does all the painting and rendering. Since Firefox is a
viewer/browser and doesn't have a feature to embed fonts when saving
html (or at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't) I'm not sure how we
could take advantage of a graphics library, since that is done in the
reader and not the document. OpenGL and SDL libraries are good
examples of opensource programs that do display fonts, but again, I
dont think subsetting/embedding is in their scope.

I could however be completely mistaken but that's my tuppence worth.

Mehdi