From: mehdi houshmand [mailto:med1...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:29 AM
To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: How much work is needed for FOP to support OpenType fonts?

Hi Eric,

I'm afraid it's not that simple, PostScript doens't accept a byte stream as PDF
does. In order to embed fonts into a PostScript document, the font must be
streamed to an ASCII hexadecimal stream. As you can imagine, this bloats the
size quite significantly, and imagine if you have several fonts, all fully
embedded. One of my test documents was 100+ MB, that's clearly unacceptable and
crashes a two of the 3 printers I use for testing. This isn't as much of an
issue in PDF since you can stream bytes directly to the document.

Mehdi