This vote was launched while discussion was still going on on the
mailing list. It would have been good to wait that a consensus is
reached, which I don’t think has happened yet. What was the urgency to
launch the vote now?

I haven’t received any answer to my concerns about the following
metrics:
• 74 files in the o.a.f.fonts package
In o.a.f.fonts.truetype.TTFFile:
• 5502 lines
• 150+ method declarations
In the test o.a.f.complexscripts.util.TTXFile:
• 3449 lines
• 50+ field declarations
• 1800 lines in the Handler.startElement method

As it currently is, I believe that the font package will cause serious
issues when merging other branches, fixing bugs or implementing other
features.

I don’t see what advantage does merging the Complex Scripts branch to
trunk bring. Users who are skilled enough to check out a copy of the
trunk, build it and test it can equally do it on a branch. For the rest
of them, I don’t think that downloading a nightly build of trunk or
a build of the branch would make any difference.

ATM Simon is regularly uploading a build of the branch on his personal
space at people.apache.org. I believe that this is exactly what non
power users need, and I would be happy to take over this task if he is
no longer willing to do it.

If trunk is regularly merged to the branch (which I would also happily
do), then it makes virtually no difference whether one is working on the
trunk or on the branch.

The new code deliberately ignores established code conventions by
disabling Checkstyle rules. This makes it inconsistent with the rest of
the code base and will unnecessarily distract people who try to
understand it.

I saw some slightly encouraging notes from Glenn that he is prepared to
do some refactoring work on his code. I urge him to break down the fonts
package and classes into smaller, more manageable components, and to do
it as soon as possible.

ATM I don’t believe that this code is maintainable by anyone else but
Glenn. Therefore I think that merging it to Trunk is a bad idea. I’m not
willing to provide any support for it at the moment, and the tone of his
latest messages does certainly not encourage me to get involved in it in
the future.

Therefore, I’m voting -0.9.

Vincent