On 20/03/12 03:37, Glenn Adams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM, The Web Maestro
> <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>> Does that mean that we would be eventually phasing out Forrest
>>> altogether and store the documentation directly in the CMS?
>>
>> Yes. We hope to phase out Forrest... All content changes will occur in the
>> CMS.
>>

> At present, my understanding is that the forrest content is also converted
> to PDF by translating to XML, then running through FOP. Is this correct?
>
> What will happen if we switch to MD markup, which is considerably less
> semantically rich than forrest? Will it still be possible to create the
> same PDF docs?
>
> If not, then that seems like a fairly radical change to the current
> approach, at least for FOP documentation.

A change that I personally welcome. Quite frankly the PDF versions of
our web pages look terrible and don’t do honour to FOP. And I’ve never
been comfortable enough with Forrest to change the way they look. And
I must say, I don’t have the energy to learn enough of Forrest to be
able to do it.

I’m happy with the all-CMS and Markdown approach, especially if it can
give our website a 21st century look.