As we've seen this morning, my ineptitude at even basic bureaucracy doesn't
really qualify me to show a bias to either side, but I'll give my 2 cents
worth since I am a stakeholder in this debate:

On 18 July 2012 13:17, Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip/>
> Well, the problem is probably not the lack of a BTS here, it’s probably
> the commit message that shouldn’t be that short. And a longer
> description should be in status.xml anyway. Also, I find the list of
> comments that usually appears in Bugzilla entries confusing more than
> anything else. You have to wander through the comments to understand
> what is going on.

Surely having lots of comments is a good thing? It means there's been a
discussion about the issue and possibly some conclusion has been come to as
to how to solve the problem. Even if the comments don't arrive at a
conclusion, then surely having the discussion would better document nuances
surrounding any particular issue?

The only time this can become confusing is if there are disparities in the
flow of the conversation between bugzilla comments and mailing list posts.
This doesn't happen very often so I don't really see this as a
consideration we should be trying to mitigate.

> That said, if a bug affects the rendering part of FOP which is not
> really unit-testable at the moment, the commit is unlikely to contain
> any test, so it helps to be able to retrieve an example output on
> Bugzilla. And I suppose that for the sake of consistency, the same
> should be done for layout bugs.

Agreed! I think whatever we decide, we must be consistent if only to
prevent confusion. It's easier following one rule for all than it is
remember and adhering to caveats.

> Since everyone seems to be in favour of switching to Bugzilla, I suppose
> I’ll start from now on. But I urge the proponents of this move to
> convert the status.xml logic as soon as possible.

Again I agree with Vincent here, that status.xml gets me every time! I
almost invariably forget to update it, now again, that's my bad but it does
seem somewhat redundant if all that information is in bugzilla/JIRA. I
appreciate it's used for release info, but there's got to be a better
solution.

I'm happy to follow the consensus on this one and I'm glad we've come to an
agreement.

Mehdi