Hi Chris,

Here are some performance statistics for three different types of fonts:

TrueType:
Full = 1123ms
Subset = 1137ms
Difference = 1.2%

OpenType:
Full = 3497ms
Subset = 3512ms
Difference = 0.4%

Type 1:
Full = 1148ms
Subset = 1896ms
Difference = 39%

The reason for this can be easily explained. Type 1 fonts contain Postscript
code. OpenType and TrueType do not as they only contain binary data. This means
no special effort by them has to be made to parse, understand and reconstruct
what is effectively another high level programming language.

Because of this deficit, it may be best to leave it as an option as per
Vincent's suggestion unless the user wants to create a smaller file and incur
the hit. In the meantime I could investigate in the near future whether any
performance improvements could be made to speed up the process. It's likely
though this will never result in it being close to either OTF or TTF levels of
performance.

Best Regards,

Robert