Hi Jan, Matthias,

> On 28 May 2015, at 21:29, Jan Tosovsky <j.tosov...@email.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On 2015-05-27 Matthias Reischenbacher wrote:
>>
>> I know pptx a bit, because I had to implement an output channel based
>> mainly on XSLT and a little bit of java (used mainly for zip
>> compression).
>
> Just for curiosity, what was the source format? Could this conversion be
> open-sourced?
>
>> +1 for adding a pptx output to FOP, but I'd recommend doing it without
> POI.
>
> I am afraid it would lead to lots of code duplication. My idea was rather a
> dedicated project dependent on both 'libraries', utilizing the best of both
> worlds.

Matthias does make a good point about the dependency.

In the meantime, having given Jan's replies from yesterday and today some
further thought, I was thinking it may be possible to take the route of adding
a SAX ContentHandler to the processing chain that translates the events from
the AreaTreeHandler or the IFHandler into POI API calls... Something like that?

I have to agree with the position that adding a hard dependency on POI would be
too much, but maybe it could have merit as a plugin / optional runtime
dependency (?) Sort of like how one currently needs the PDFBox plugin to
include PDFs via fox:external-document ?

If one wanted to use it, it would be technically possible and not too hard to
achieve, but it would not come out of the box, i.e. POI would not be required
to compile and build FOP.

Ideas...? Plenty of those over here.

KR