FOP does almost all we need. What's missing can be added, since it's
OpenSource, right?

We're currently working on a project for an insurance company where
Compuset is used and is to be replaced by an XML/XSLT/XSL:FO-based
approach. One of the reasons for this decision was using freely
available standards like XML, XSLT, XSL:FO etc. What you currently get
when you're using proprietary software is a beautiful WYSIWYG editor. OK,
that's missing for XSLT/XSL:FO but that doesn't matter too much where
our project are targeted. FOA, XSLFast etc. are a good start but not yet
really useful IMO.

Another thing we're doing is provide high-volume printing services, and
one of our outsourcing customers is using Jetform with the result that
we had to write code that patches the PostScript-Files delivered so we
could really use them. And that's just one of many problem they had in
that project.

Well, there's more to tell, but I got to work...

> I would like to know why FOP enthousiast (I am one) are using FO rather
> than products such as Crystal Reports or other such software (anyone
> Jetfoms ?). Just for the fun of playing with new technology ?
>
> Thanks for any hints (in private since this is off-topic)

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch