On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Carlos wrote:

> > While it is cumbersome and I would prefer not to, I can make an extra step
> > and unescape the the tags before FOP sees the XML; then I can use the
> > template to convert them into blocks and recover my paragraph breaks.
> One solution would be to use another XSLT stylesheet to do this: Have an
> XSLT stlyle sheet that detects paragraphs and copies everything else to the
> target document.

Hmm... Do you mean do two separate processing steps - i.e. one with a
secondary XSLT processor, and then the next with FOP? Not such a bad
thought.  :)

> > Obviously it would be nice if the linefeed-treatment attribute worked and
> > I could skip this altogether, but c'est la vie...
> It's part of the standard so it'll be supported before 1.0 is released. Any
> help is welcome

I would be eager to contribute to this (excellent) project - but I
understand that the team is engaged in a rewrite, so any work on the
current Java code would be lost. Meanwhile, I have the vague impression
the rewrite is not far along enough yet for a stranger like me to jump in
and do more good than harm.

Perhaps I am mistaken?

> > My other issue right at the moment has to do with recreating
> > "baseline-to-basline" spacing, which I'm starting to think _might_ be
> > possible in FO, but can't be done in FOP (because line-height and/or
> > text-altitude don't seem work on inline or character elements).
> If you can dedicate budget to it, look at RenderX, they are pricey but
> support more of the XSL standard than FOP does at this time

Thank you very much for this advice. I have looked at RenderX/XEP; they do
have a very impressive degree of completeness, and you are right, they are
extremely expensive. As I am targeting a dual-CPU Wintel server, a XEP
licence would run me 10 large, well beyond what I can afford.  :(

It's OK. Both of these (no newlines and no baseline-to-baseline) are an
inconvenience, but they are problems I can work around.

-David