What I am currently looking at is to specify the HTML stylesheet in the
header so that it can be quick-viewed simply by users (with typical user
know-how - ie none) double-clicking the icon in explorer. I am then
defining a custom file type and changing the XML file extension such
that a script is run which in turn runs FOP. This thus gives me two view
output possibilities.

What I would like is to use the stylesheet specification that currently
transforms to HTML to specify some sort of (java)script file that will
run FOP.

I never, ever said I wanted to use the HTML transform stylesheet with
FOP. I am not that stupid. However if FOP parsed the line that specified
a stylesheet, and automatically pulled it in, so that the -xsl command
line option was not needed, that would simplify the processing of XML
files to PDF using FOP! And OF COURSE the stylesheet specified for this
usage would be an FO transform stylesheet!"