Pascal,

I had a problem similar to this.  I scanned in a
person's signature and opened it in Illustrator, then
saved it as SVG.  Viewing the SVG file in IE and in
Illustrator it looked fine, but in my pdf it was too
large.  I then decided to convert the bitmap to a vector
image using Streamline.  After the conversion, I saved
it again in Illustrator as an SVG.  After this, it
looked fine.

I know this isn't the most technically satisfying
answer, but it may temporarily solve your problem.

Hope this helps,
John Fox
Atlanta

http://www.marymakes.com