Pascal,

I'm sorry.  Streamline is an Adobe product that converts
bitmap files to vector files.  I'm sure there are other
products that do the same thing, I'm just familiar with
Streamline.

You and I are in the same boat as far as not knowing
much about SVG.  I understand the concept behind it, but
never really dig into the nuts and bolts of the xml
behind it.  I use the new Illustrator(10) to do all of
the dirty work.  Because FOP doesn't support EPS (yet),
the best way for designers to use sharp images in their
pdfs is to use SVG and creating them in Illustrator
suites me.

I'm looking for cheaper solutions, if anyone knows of
any, please let me know.

Thanks,
John
Atlanta