I should've thought of this sooner...

<!-- At the top of my XSL-FO file or in an xsl:include -->
<!-- varImagesDirectory | used to set PATH to images/ directory-->
<xsl:variable name="varImagesDirectory">/path/to/images</xsl:variable>

<!-- my fo:external-graphic call -->
<fo:external-graphic src="url('{$varImagesDirectory}/logo.jpg')" width="1.87cm" height=".99cm" content-width="1.87cm" content-height=".99cm" border="0"/>

is how I use it in our system...

Hope this helps!

Web Maestro Clay