Danny wrote:
Using baseDir I could reference the relative path to the image in the xsl,
but I would have to specify an absolute path in the baseDir, so really that
is the same as just hardcoding the path in the xsl.

My problem is that I do not want to require the application be installed in
a specific directory structure, although, if that is the only way perhaps
that is what I need to do.

The baseDir (or baseURL) is set in the servlet/webapp. You can resolve the URL "/" to an absolute file path, append whatever intermediate directories you want and set this as baseDir. After this you can use path names relative to the webapp root for your images. Have a look at the Cocoon URI resolver for an example.

J.Pietschmann