Clay Leeds escribió:
On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Or you need to simply make sure that the URLs are unique. You can  use a
dummy parameter in the URL to fake uniqueness:
http://localhost/MyChartServlet?dummy=1234

Hmmm...my guess is that for any servlet-related problem for which a "dummy parameter to fake uniqueness" would solve it, that the servlet itself can be rewritten to fix the problem instead. (In this case, have it coded to regenerate the image for every call, with no dummy parameter needed.) If I'm correct, I would refer the questioner to the Sun Servlet forum for more assistance.

Glen

In my experience (mainly coming from a background where the user- agent tends to be a web browser), if you call the same thing twice, there are a number of places where the object being served can be 'cached':
- server
- proxy
- client

Oh. My interpretation of the problem was that a different PDF document *was* indeed being returned each time, but that the charts within the PDF document were incorrectly not being regenerated to account for the new data specific to each document. If my assumption was the case, that would tend to rule out caching at the client or the proxy, because AFAIK they would just have a PDF document to cache (not inner parts, such a graphics within the PDF).

But if it is the case that the *same* PDF document is being sent each time to the browser, then yes, the caching may be at the client or proxy-level, and the URL modifying may be necessary.

Glen

In some cases, the server itself also might have some sort of 'caching' system as well, which is external to the server.

If someone is calling a cacheable resource, I've found it safest to somehow modify the name (even slightly) to ensure there's no caching involved. IMO, this alleviates the potential of cacheability (making words up can be fun!).

Web Maestro Clay