Hi,

I've been around the installation of trunk's version
of FOP, which I've ended up by not being able to use
beacuse of my system is too old (libc-2.2, gcc
2.95.3), and the java version you've lately updated
to, doesn't run here.

Actually, very likely, the only version I'd able to
use, would be 0.20.5. The thing is this version
doesn't respect my custom footers (the body overrides
it), body text doesn't start neither at the same
possition when using this footers, etc.

So I'm just wondering whether could anyone please tell
about other resources?

I'd like to be able to generate nice-looking
documents, I mean with svg or anyother scalable
imaging format, etc. For this time, I'll be publishing
in C5 (paper size), don't know whether this would a
problem or not.

I understand dockbook/XML-XSLT/SGML-DSSSL and it's
customization layers as a good way of working,
although I'd like an expert to advise me.

I'd be working on a pdf output basis or any other
format that would be better for a press to work with.
I'm within a linux system, and have no troubles at all
when starting to learn all over again, tex or any
other format any one could advise me as "the most
proffesional one" when dealing with presses (is that
how you call those places that actually print out your
book, isn't it?), sorry my english anyway.

I've been for a while away from any of this, but I do
remember there are formats such as dvi, postscript, I
know one can have pdf from sgml + jadetex, that one
can use it even with dsssl or xslt style-sheets
(IIRC).

I'd really appreciate, though, if someone could advise
when getting into something that's gonna be stable,
robust, and is not gonna break any of my work beacuse
of thirdy-party dependencies (don't want to bother off
anyone, I just mean and independent doc-system),
whilst being able to generate good-looking documents
as well as dealing with presses, or printing-presses
at a highest level, probably a backend for postscript
whatever it is, don't really know how it works
nowadays.

Kind Regards,