To: <fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 5:14 PM
Subject: How to make "directives" look better? Customizing/defining elements and formatting...

This is another newb question, and please forgive me as I fear it is off
topic for this list.
(please point me in the right direction)

Quick version:
==============
Where and how do I define new element types?  (How) Can I import
existing ones I like from the ASF?

Explanation
===========
I am writing technical documentation and need to document Apache HTTPD
conf file "directives".

Example:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#acceptmutex

In the Apache docs (linked above) there is a really nice format for a
"directive" which encapsulates the directive in a box and formats the
header elements of the directive in bold, etc.

I am currently using a "table" to format my directives, and they look
like crap. :)  Especially when converted to PDF, as the first column of
the table takes up 80% of the page width and the second column is right
off the page:

Example: http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/directive-example.jpg

Thus the question is how can I make my directive definitions look like
the ASF's?

Best I can tell I have to define or import new custom elements, such as
<directivesynopsis> which are used in the ASF docs, which are not
defined currently in the list of element types I have access to.  These
new element definitions also have to include instructions to FOP on how
to format them when converted to PDF. (right?)

Environment notes:
==================
I use XML Mind Editor 3.2 to edit the docs.

Here is an example of the command I am using to convert into PDF (direct
from XML).

"C:\"Program Files"\apacheFOP\fop-0.92beta\fop.bat -xml
E:\data\covalentDocumentation\new-xml-docs\ERS-3.1.0-Release_Notes.xml
-xsl E:\data\docbook\docbook-xsl-1.70.1\fo\docbook.xsl -pdf
E:\data\covalentDocumentation\new-xml-docs\ERS-3.1.0-Release_Notes.xml.p
df"

Thanks,
Dan Carwin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]