I don't understand your example. I'll post one of my own:

<block keep-together.within-column="always">
  <block>I use 30% height</block>
  <block>I use 30% height</block>
  <block>I use 50% height</block>
</block>
In this case all three nested block will remain on the same page and
will cause an overflow.

<block keep-together.within-column="1">
  <block>I use 30% height</block>
  <block>I use 30% height</block>
  <block>I use 50% height</block>
</block>
In this case, the 50% block is moved to the next page if the layout
engine doesn't find a better solution, for example by keeping the first
block on the previous page and keeping the latter two together. (all
assuming those nested blocks are unbreakable for example by carrying a
keep-together.within-column="always")

HTH