Hi, everyone!
Since a few days, I am trying to install the OFFO hyphenation patterns
in my FOP install, but I've failed miserably, so far. I guess, I am
missing just a tiny little detail, because It seems like I've really
tried everything. (Please see details below.)

So my question is: In order to use hyphenation with the FOP processor,
what files do I have to install, and how do I tell FOP where they are
installed?

Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks!
- Jerzy

DETAILS:
==========

My system:
 * Operating system: Xubuntu 9.06 Jaunty Jackalope.
 * Out-of-the-box kernel: linux-image-2.6.28-16-generic (ix86)
 * FOP from the Xubuntu repository: 1:0.95.dfsg-2ubuntu1
 * Both Sun Java and GCJ seem to be installed, so I am not sure which
one is running. Here is the output of 'java -version':
java version "1.6.0_16"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

In the following sample usage scenario:
/home/work/source.fo
/home/work/hyphenation/fop-hyph.jar

 * The 'source.fo' file contains hyphenate="true" and language="en"
and language="es" attributes where necessary.
 * The fop-hyph.jar file was downloaded from the
'offo-hyphenation-fop-stable_v1.2.zip' archive from Sourceforge.

The following instructions do not work. They produce "Couldn't find
hyphenation pattern en" and "es" messages.

$ export FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH=/home/work/hyphenation/fop-hyph.jar
$ fop source.fo result.pdf

$ export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/home/work/hyphenation/fop-hyph.jar
$ fop source.fo result.pdf

I also tried other paths, such as 'hyphenation',
'hyphenation/fop-hyph.jar', './hyphenation/fop-hyph.jar', etc.

I also tried putting the FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH variable in a
/home/work/.foprc file without success.

The documentation also tells me to install the 'fop-hyph.jar' in a
"lib directory of the your FOP installation" or in a "build directory
of the your FOP installation". But I can't find such directories. (I
don't know enough about Java to understand what/where they are.)

Since the documentation also mentions a 'hyphenation-base'
configuration parameter, I tried putting absolute and relative paths
to 'fop-hyph.jar' and 'hyphenation' in a
'/home/work/hyphenation/fop.xconf' file. But I only got huge error
messages.

I also downloaded the 'offo-hyphenation_v1.2.zip' archive from
Sourceforge, and tried to point the 'hyphenation-base' parameter to
the 'en.xml' and 'es.xml' files, but FOP complained about missing
'*.hyp' files (whatever these might be).

I have honestly tried to read and understand the available documentation:
 * http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/hyphenation.html
 * http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#hyphenation-fails
 * http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html
 * http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/installation.html
I've also read through all relevant mailing list archives, without success.

I've also asked for help through the official Ubuntu channels without success:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fop/+question/88559