On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:39:42AM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
What have Linus Torvalds and me in common? We both don't remember
numbers higher than ten.

I propose to follow Linux kernel versioning and do 2.0 instead of 1.18
for no other reason that it's just too high number and it's
approaching crazy 20. "One point eighteen" sounds crazy, I always mess
up with "One point eight". Frankly, I kinda lost track somewhere after
1.14. :-)

I'd like also to propose to avoid exceeding 10 in the future - someone
speak up as we will approach to 1.8. Or we can put this to release
wiki.

If we already have some infrastructure set for 1.18, I propose 1.19 to
be 2.0 and act now - let's define a plan what needs to be done in
advance. I can only think of version number in RedMine, but you tell
me here what's needed.

I really hope it's not just me messing around with higher numbers or
having problems with typing four characters instead of three many
times.

While I don't care if we pick 1.18, 1.19 or maybe even 1.17 I do agree it's getting to the point where we are hard to compare with the 1.0 release.

I'd like to consider implementing semver as well. Some things I can think of:

* A formal plugin API
* Functions in templates

Deprecations can happen but are only removed in 3.0. This might mean we do 2 -> 3 a lot faster than 1 -> 2 but that's ok IMHO.

We can also implement APIs as experimental if we're unsure if they're the best.

With this in mind the rails 4.2 -> rails 5.1 might be a good reason to adopt 2.0. Since rails 5.2 will the last 5.x, rails 6.0 might be a 3.0 reason.