On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 02:18:35PM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
Bikeshedding about SemVer aside, I'm good with doing a 2.0 release in
the near future, but *please* lets use it to deprecate / drop stuff we
no longer want to maintain. Otherwise there's no real point to it.

I agree we can take this "opportunity" to drop some deprecated things
like V1 API, but I don't see many other things. We are pretty good in
deprecating things using our "two releases" rule which should be
followed no matter if we bump major version or not.

+1 this is very similar to Django's release policy: in 1.x it was x deprecated and x+2 removed. Starting 2.0 they'll follow semver. I'd suggest we do the same.

Let's not block 2.0 with any feature, I wrote the reasons, if we fit
in some deprecation work why not. But's let's agree on 2.0 timeframe
regardless of any planning.

+1 on letting 2.0 drop block on dropping things rather than adding things.