Autodetection seems to have the most issues with old DOS codepages using ANSI
art. See for example https://github.com/ochrons/dsmi/blob/master/src/DMP.DOC or
the ASM files in https://github.com/sagamusix/impulsetracker and
https://github.com/sagamusix/VelvetStudio/tree/master/Code

pspad:
Try to switch off autodetection, select "favourite" (default for you) codepage
and PSPad will work as you want.
It will still detects utf-8 (if there are any utf-8 encoded chars) and other
unicode pages.

The problem with changing my favourite codepage is that I want *my own*
newly created files to be all UTF-8 without BOM. So maybe a potential fix could
be to have two different settings for 1) default encoding to use for newly
created files and 2) default encoding to use for reading files with unknown
encoding.

--
<https://forum.pspad.com/read.php?4,77125,77128>
PSPad freeware editor https://www.pspad.com