All of those suggestions just hinder my workflow I'm afraid. Maybe I should
better explain what the most important things for me are here:

- I do not want to be warned everytime I open an ANSI file that it contains
invalid UTF-8 codepoint. That just slows down my work.
- I do not want the codepage for those legacy ANSI files to be autodetected, as
Chinese or Japanese characters don't have the same width as e.g. all characters
in Windows-1252. For me it's not a big matter if DOS ANSI characters are not
decoded correctly (in my mind I can pretty much map the incorrect characters
anyway), but if the formatting of tables breaks because some characters get
turned into Chinese glyphs, it's rather annoying.
- All of that I want without having to manually reopen a file with a different
encoding.

--
<https://forum.pspad.com/read.php?4,77125,77136>
PSPad freeware editor https://www.pspad.com