This message is from the T13 list server.

Curtis said...
>The interrupt is truely not a requirement for UDMA.

Just to expand on this... INTRQ is not required by any ATA or ATAPI
reset or command protocol. A host can chose to ignore INTRQ anytime.

But I think the point of the original question was missed here... I
think the question concerns a piece of host side hardware, hardware
not for use in a WinTel system, hardware not for use on a system
running WinXX, that does not connect to the INTRQ signal. So whatever
"system" this is (could be a digital camera, MP3 player, ?) it
probably has no need to use INTRQ. It probably uses only PIO at low
data transfer rates.

(I have said this many times before) There are a large number of
ATA/ATAPI devices that are not used in your normal WinTel system...
It is unfortunate that T13 continues to ignore these applications of
ATA/ATAPI devices and continues to be totally beholding to the WinTel
world. The responses to the original question clearly show that many
T13 people immediately jumped to the conclusion that ignoring INTRQ
would not work in a WinTel system, probably without ever thinking
that this could be some other application for an ATA/ATAPI device
that has nothing to do with the WinTel world.

Sigh...

*** Hale Landis *** www.ata-atapi.com ***

*** Hale Landis *** www.ata-atapi.com ***