> Ale? Katona wrote:
> > Hi Bob and welcome to the world of crap.
> >
> > Seriously and honestly, the FreeBSD porters made a big bad pile of crap
> > when they some years ago decided to name "gtk-12" and others as "gtk12".
> >
> > Welcome to the world of shit.. eh sorry I ment unix.
> >
> > It was written in C what would you expect?
>
> This is not a C based problem, you can do the same thing using FPC, but
> only few people make libraries with FPC in the first place.
>
> This issue is a typical source-based distribution problem, because when
> you recompile everything from scratch every day (or, often) anyway, you
> can change a whole lot more without breaking things than if you need to
> keep binary packages in sync with each other.

This has nothing to do with source based vs binary. If e.g. debian renamed
libs tomorrow inside a branch, it would have the same effect.

Note that the problems are the same in FreeBSD, source based or not.

It is simply bad release management. Probably they want to keep this 5.x and
6.x compat and feel that the hard way will convert most installations
quickly.