On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

On 29.09.2015 15:35, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

1. Using a LCL component means that you must instantiate a form/datamodule first.
   By that time, a database connection may already have been made (just
   to name something), which is exactly what you want to avoid.

The check for single instance should be done before the first form is created.

2. Then it is only available in visually designed applications.
   Services, website servers and custom console apps are non-visual.
   I am specificially thinking FastCGI processes.

Actually, you could create the LCL component manually in the LPR and use it non-visually before any code is run (except initialization sections). The visual component could be only for the hobbyists.

So for me both CustApp or LCL component are OK. You decide :)

Both are OK. Use of one does not exclude use of the other.

I was going to add it in CustApp anyway as soon as I had looked at your
implementation.