On 18 April 2023 18:12:49 +0200, James Richters via fpc-other
<fpc-other@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>I can understand keeping bots off the channel, but it seems like there should
>be some easy way to test if you are a bot without annoying real humans.
>Why doesn’t she just send them an email or a text message if their
>conversation is not convincing or
>If they are someone who is on the FPC mailing list, then it’s super easy to
>confirm that just ask them what their email used on one of the FPC lists.   If
>I do a google search for:   james richters fpc-pascal
>I get all kinds of posts that I have made over the years from the archives.

Indeed - moderation should be driven by actions, not by suspicions.

>The comment was made that lurkers are not allowed on the channel.. that is
>just dumb,  if there are not lurkers, then the chances of someone being on who
>knows how to help with any give issue is much less.  So the only people on the
>channel will be people with questions, and no one with answers.  Also a LOT
>can be learned from other people’s questions.  I learn SO much from the
>FPC-Pascal List.. things that I would never even think about.

That's exactly one of arguments I raised to Joanna, but she didn't seem to
either understand or care (neither is good).

>I don’t know,  I like the mailing lists, I didn’t even know there was an IRC
>channel…. Look… I learned about something I didn’t know about from what would
>be considered lurking if I was on IRC.

Yep. I'll post an update regarding the FPC team decision and associated action
tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Tomas