My coworker did the following (with my help as I followed Fred's previous
e-mail):

1. Unchecked the Network File Locking option and saved this choice before
exiting Properties.
2. Opened Framemaker 11.0 and the book-in-question.
3. Opened one of the book files on the network drive and scrolled through it --
no problem.
4. Opened another of the book files on the network drive and scrolled through
it
-- again, no problem. Wait, darn it! There's that crappy crash pop-up again!

So next, he did the following:

1. Copied the entire folder with all book and chapter files from the network
drive to his own C-drive.
2. Once more did steps 2, 3 and 4 using only the files on his own C-drive, but
this time with no FM crashes -- at least so far.

So it APPEARS this has solved the problem. More info if / as it develops.

-- Ken in Atlanta