I set the row heights to zero, which I believe is the default. FrameMaker
seems to take things over from there using the current paragraph tag to set
the height to the minimum without obscuring text.

If all your custom settings are the same (for example: "1.56789") you can do
a simple search and replace in the mif.

Replace:

<RowMinHeight  1.56789">

with

<RowMinHeight  0">

It looks to me like you could reset all tables by just removing the
<RowMinHeight x.xxxxx> line from the mif. That would require a more
sophisticated find value that used wildcards (or regexp)

Try this on a copy of a file and see if that works for you.

Craig