Hi!

I work for a small startup that delivers documentation to software developers.
I’m investigating how to continue our strategy of publishing to HTML so that we
can “merge” our reference documentation (such as Javadoc) with our developer
guides, samples, and so forth.

Our legacy is unstructured FrameMaker 12, which I’d prefer to continue for the
moment. We use FrameMaker’s multi-publishing feature to output to Responsive
HTML5, using the RoboHelp features that come with FM. However, this approach
isn’t customizable, as far as I can tell. I’m sure to get pressure to make our
docs conform to the rest of the company’s design philosophy.

How should I proceed? Full RoboHelp would probably give us the customization we
need without a lot of work, but RoboHelp is very expensive. We could go to
structured FM and convert XML to HTML5 using XSLT (I was a software engineer in
a past life, so I don’t find this troubling), but it’s a lot of work. Going to
a different content/publishing solution would take some ‘splaining, since we’ve
already invested in FM 12. But, if it were cheap enough, we could consider it.

I should add that we use Git for CMS. This approach actually works pretty well,
since our goal is to track versions and branches rather than save space or do
line-by-line reviews. For reviews, we’re currently using Acrobat XI features
based on tagged PDF from FM 12.

Thoughts? I would be grateful for any advice!

Joe
This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which this mail is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. Any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail or
the attached files by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail or collect call to (650) 388-4111 and delete this e-mail and
attached files from your system. Thank you.