Given the theoretical differences I'm not sure why you would expect RGB output
of CMYK colors to be close to what CMYK color should looks like.

Think of it this way, if you choose a Pantone color as a spot color, you'd
expect it to print exactly like as that Pantone color to paper. But to the
screen, who knows? It's be "close" but depends on the color correctness of the
particular monitor.

Craig