Okay, so here's what I did:

1.       Place copy of old template TOC file somewhere outside the folder (just
in case)

2.       Drop new template TOC file into directory with other files and rename
it to the previous file name used for the TOC in that book

3.       Confirm that chapter names and headings in chapter files align with
TOC headings in new template.

4.       Make sure there is no TOC file in the open Framemaker book (if so,
delete it)

5.       You should now see an "Add" feature in the menu bar.

6.       Click on "Add" and select Table of Contents.

7.       In the dialog box, move over the items you want to appear in the TOC.
Be sure to include the Index Title TOC. Click on "Add."

8.       Another dialog box will appear to update the entire book. Click
"Update."

The disappointing result was I got a blank page, and all the other book files
appeared to be corrupted as well. :( I closed the book without saving the
files. Ugggh, what did I do wrong??